Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Busy!

It has been a very busy past few days, sorry I haven't updated! So Monday morning/afternoon was great! I got to sleep in all the way until 8am. What a great feeling that was LoL. I spent my day reading on the deck in the sun, shopping, and visiting with two other team members. It was exactly what we needed. I had been getting frustrated with some of the politics of the mission and a morning off to do what I wanted was both relaxing and theraputic for my 2 group members and I. We finished off our little day sipping coffee at this great till French Bistro we had found which faces the montesary and the mountains. Mount Misty was in full form. We went into the hospital around 7pm that night when they were finishing up surgery.
The patient turned out to be a very sick man who initially did very well with surgery but than we started to have some bleeding problems. We brought him back to the OR (always interesting to watch open heart surgery!) and didn't get home till 3:30am. The next morning I was up again at 7:30am. No wonder I feel so worn out all the time! Yesterday the rest of our pediatric team arrived and we did our first pediatric patient surgery which was the first bypass ever done at this hospital. A 4 year old boy with a VSD. Turned out great.
I was bummed last night. The adult team ended up leaving a day early due to a flight change. They are a great group and I'm going to really miss them!! We all worked well as a team and the patients got great care. Hopefully I can end up at their hospital for a few months on assignment! I'm really happy that I was able to join them for their going away dinner. Zev convinced me to try a bite of Cuy at dinner. It is a local specialty, otherwise known to us as Guina Pig. Tastes a lot like chicken but one bite was enough! Alright I better get working again.

No comments: