Sunday, March 30, 2008

Another day, another adventure.

I admit I assumed I knew what to expect while in Arequipa (pronounced air-keep-ah), I thought it would be somewhat of a 3rd world experience. Like what you see on TV and in the feed the poor commercials. I confess to being wrong with my prejudgement. Everything I expected has been incredibly incorrect. On my journey so far I have found Arequipa to be a beautiful, friendly, warm and cultural city. The views are breathtaking leading me to go way overboard with the photographs, but I just can't seem to capture what I am seeing. The camera doesn't portray the smells, colors, the attitudes, and the feeling of being here. Its frustrating! Today we went to a spot so our local Cardiostart member, Vicente, could show us some views. They reminded me of fairytales... the happily ever after moments of the stories. One canyon in particular brought the story of Jack and the Beanstalk to mind, it was the colors, clouds and mountains. I half expected to suddenly find a beanstalk growing up into the clouds.
I want to remember every moment but I'm doing so much I know I won't. Between yesterday and today I have seen so many things and participated in so many once in a life time experiences that I will never remember it all! Today I learned some more spanish, played with Alpaca, watched local weavers work, saw street jugglers, went shopping, ate strange foods and ordered things I can't pronounce (delicious by the way!!). I also sampled the Peruvian national drink, Pisco Sour, and fell in love with it! Its VERY potent stuff but almost reminds me of a Margarita or long island tea. Its made with Pisco, lemons, egg yolk whipped on the top, Cinnamon and some other ingredients. All these strange foods we may regret eating as of tomorrow! So worth it today though...
Something that I find surprising is the security we are given. We have the local SWAT (spelled SUAT here) team following us with 2 SUV's and also 2 bodyguards following us who are trained in Marshall arts such as Judo. This same group follows visiting ambassadors. Its not because they think we are at risk, in fact we are quite safe it seems. The security has been helpful in keeping us from getting run over by the INSANE drivers, getting pick pocketed and from getting lost. Also they keep us from being stupid. All this security gives us quite the entrance when we travel as a large group. In small groups usually only the bodyguards follow.
The hospital wasn't ready for us today, so we will go to work tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to it! We did meet our translators who are very sweet and friendly. Now I'm off to bed after the most amazing day. This is by far the best trip I have taken and I've only been here 2 days. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?!?

1 comment:

Jenny Patterson said...

Hey there Kiddo! It sounds like you are having a great time. Wish I could be there with you. The "Jack and the Beanstalk" Canyon sound cool! I look forward to hearing (reading) more! Now I am off to take a look a the pictures!

Love Ya!
MOM