Friday, July 3, 2009

Pseudo-crunchy mama

So today as I hung my clothes out to dry I was informed that I am becoming a "crunchy mom". Now I had absolutely no idea what "crunchy" meant, but I assumed she wasn't talking about texture being she hadn't tried to take a bite out of me... so I replied thank you. It seemed to be the appropriate response being it was said by a very sweet girl and in the manner of a compliment. After the clothes were hung to dry the first thing I did, well second thing after changing a diaper, was search to find out what this meant. According to urbandictionary.com it is a

"Mother who supports homebirth, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, gentle discipline, etc. One who questions established medical authority; tends to be vegetarian and/or prepare all-organic foods."

Being I opted for the epidural, would never consider withholding vaccinations and I eat meat I wouldn't exactly fall into the crunchy mommy category. Is there such thing as a pseudo-crunchy mom? Perhaps I would fall into that category! I breastfeed, she goes to bed in her crib and than we co-sleep when she wakes up around 11pm, I try to feed her organic food when possible and as of this week we started cloth diapering (it seems Miss Avie may be allergic to disposable diapers). Apparently hanging my clothes out to dry pushed me into the crunchy category in her book, LoL. I am a strong believer that what is best for Avie is what I will do. I know nursing is of course the best option, organic food has less chemicals in it thankfully and if it takes cloth diapers to get rid of her red itchy bum than I'll do it. I think I like being a crunchy mommy. Not only is it good for Miss Avie it also helps with the penny pinching. Not a bad deal!! Happy 4th everyone!!





Here's a picture of Miss Avie's first experience with Avocado's... not a big fan I guess! On our second attempt I mixed them in with her rice cereal and we had a lot better luck with that.

2 comments:

Britta said...

We'll be pseudo-crunchy mums together! Can't wait to see fuzzy-butt Avie.

melissa eickenbrock said...

haha! I love this- I don't see you as any sort of "hippie"... you just have common sense is all