Thursday, June 5, 2008

Life Changes

This whole 'growing up' bit is not really what I had in mind! Suddenly those loans I took out in college that would be easy to pay off once I had a real job no longer seem so trivial. My real job with a real paycheck don't seem impressive anymore when I try to figure out how to pay off my school loans, car loans, rent, utilities, cell phone bill and all those other pesky bills every month. What once was thought to be a HUGE paycheck somehow seems to look like less and less money each month, even with the raise! Yes, in all honesty this isn't quite what I had planned! I make ends meet and I know it'd be much easier did I not have this addiction for travel and fun. I remind myself, as I look at my insignificant savings account, that as I get even older I won't have the opportunity to hop a ferry into town (Boston) or swim with Beluga Whales (my next planned adventure coming soon). I've been enjoying my 20's and you can tell with a look into my bank account!
As I'm growing up my conversations with friends are changing as well. Its no longer "Did you know so and so and so and so are hooking up?!?". Now its "Did you know they are having a baby? And they just bought a house!". Goodbye long nights of partying in the clubs for fun, we now find ourselves going for a walk or having a simple dinner before running home to bed. Our girls night out doesn't consist of a limo to the all night dance club, but instead we get a table and order ONE Margarita so we can head home before 11... we need to work in the morning! Calling in sick isn't an option anymore. Its kinda strange how all these changes snuck up on me.
So I've enjoyed being so young but my responsibilities are starting to add up and are beginning to outnumber the adventures. So I guess its time to start counting my penny's a little more carefully and say goodbye to Coach purses, weekends on the beach and all nighters with friends and instead say hello to monthly bills, weekends of overtime and bedtime at 9... Yup, growing up and responsibility isn't as cool as I thought it'd be when I was 7!

1 comment:

Jenny Patterson said...

HA! HA! HA! Errin! Life has a way of creeping up on you like that!

Love ya!
MOM